Monday, October 01, 2007

Song for the children?

While I was preparing to share with the Sunday School kids abt Immutable God, YY had encouraged me to close my message to the kids with a song that i had written - Faithful God. I was slightly apprehensive, but figured, if this song can help them to remember our Faithful God having an unchanging love for them, it was more than enough.


Without any lyrics flashed, the kids surprised me by singing in unison the whole song of Faithful God. It moved me close to tears. Personally, I had always thought this song as an adult-song. It was humbling to think that the kids, who had such powerful memory, knew this song by heart. Even the 4-year olds were singing the chorus, "Faithful God, Unchanging Love.. *trail off* .. Faithful God, Unchanging love.. *trail off* Faithful God"

It's a scary thought that finally (!) dawned on me that writing songs for church is an awesome responsibility. It influences and shapes the theology of these young minds. It is also an exciting opportunity and tremendous privilege to be a part in impacting our children =)

P/s: Sarah, Jules, remember we had often wondered what other words to be used in replacement of unchanging love (since there wasn't a verse that spelt that out verbatim)? Well, it finally dawned on me (thru YY's moment of deep wise revelation) that our God is unchanging. And our God is love. Hence, His love is unchanging. =)


Photo 1. Faithful God (C) Copyright - CDPC album
Photo 2. Taken at Sydney Olympic Park.