Sunday, October 21, 2007

Not the leftovers nor the extras

Was struck today by what YY said during the worship session, that "Our God gives us His very best, His most precious. "

How often we give out of the abundance that we have - our extras and our leftovers. What if you had only one? Would you still give it away? It reminds me of a little girl who had only one keropok(fish cracker) in her hand. I asked her for that piece of keropok. She held on to it tighter. She refused. I pretended to be really hungry. In her kindness and pity, she said, "only one small bite, ah?" For such a young girl, i was impressed by her generosity. Because if I were her, i'd probably quickly put it in my mouth and chew and swallow it! (Just kidding, *wink*) =)

But honestly, if it were you or me, if it were something costlier, if it meant everything to you, if it were your one and only, if it were your precious, would you still give it away?

***










Creator God, You did not give me
A gift that costed You nothing
You did not give me
Your leftovers, or trash and garbage.

Creator God, You did not give me
A gift that means to You nothing
You did not give
Your extras, or something you didn't want
And had plenty of the same.

Jesus, He was Your one and only.
Your beloved, Your precious.
Jesus was a part of You
Heart of Your heart
Soul of Your soul.

Yet, for someone so unworthy like me
You CHOSE DELIBERATELY
Not a haphazard, spur-of-the-moment decision
For someone so undeserving
You GAVE INTENTIONALLY
Not by chance but by choice.

It blows my mind
The Creator God who could give anything
Would CHOOSE to give me
Not His leftovers
Nor His extras
But His one and only
His everything
His Son
His Jesus.

As a ransom for my life
As a punishment for my sin and my failures
As a redemption for my future, my eternity.

***