Sunday, November 25, 2007

Living Out the Name

Our Bible study on last Friday was on Ephesians 4. The book we're using started off with a story of the great world conqueror, Alexander the Great. It shares about how one day he was inspecting his troops, when he came across a soldier, shabbily dressed. He asked this soldier, "What is your name?" The soldier replied, "Alexander". WIthout missing a beat, the great warrior and strategist stepped forward and said to the trembling infantryman, "Either change your ways or change your name!"

The story hit me. I carry the name of Christ as a christian, but am I leading a life worthy of my calling? Do i draw others nearer or pull them farther away from Christ? We had an interesting discussion on that. I guess we're all work-in-progress. But hopefully, we're progressing forward in our faith and our testimony.. =)

Today, our church had the privilege to have Aunty Merrilyn share Gods word with us. She had so much to share about her stories of missions in Nepal and China. She reminded us that we are the carriers of God's love. We are but jars of clay, worthless, insignificant, carrying treasures immeasurable, invaluable - the gospel of Christ, the message of redemption. She exhorted us to put on God's shoes, not ours, but GOD'S shoes of preparation of the gospel of peace. That everywhere we went, we would exude Christ' fragrance and love, bringing and drawing people to Him.

Aunty Merrilyn was the OCF Resource person, and had touched countless lives through her mission work in China, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, Singapore and through her ministry in the OCF, and through her pastoral ministry in AACC, Adelaide.So many people call her mum, God-ma, Didi (sister).

Later on, i had the opportunity to have lunch with Aunty Merrilyn. Now, this is one life truly sold out for Christ. As i sat with her, listening to the stories of her travels, the people she has led to Christ, the things God has done in and through her, i was just astounded.. I could imagine myself like Mary sitting at the Lord's feet just soaking in everything. Aunty Merrilyn reminds me that she is only a vessel used by God, as ordinary as you can get, but to me, she's amazing. She epitomises faith and love; and when she said she's a representative of Christ, she didn't mince her words.

At 65, her memory is amazing. She remembered the things she prayed for me during our last church camp in PD. She asked me how have things progressed since then. She wrote a scripture letter for me, prophetic, i believe, as she said it's God's word for me for this season in my life. When I told her that she inspires me through her life, her love and her faith, she smiled. It has been a tough journey for her, but she's just so fired up for Christ, she's more than prepared to give everything she has and is to the Lord.

Each time i meet, speak, listen and see Aunty Merrilyn, i am reminded all over again, that life on earth is short, and i should live it fully for my God, leaving a legacy for His Kingdom, making my life count for eternity.