Thursday, May 03, 2007

A step into the unknown

I had always loved writing. I've even secretly wished and hoped to someday publish my own biography - a collection of my journey of faith, of my thoughts and moments of reflection. With much persuasion from my CG girls, plus having been a regular 'follower' of their blogs, I have been very blessed to read their 'thoughts' and be a part of their lives. In my 28 years, I had never been tech-savvy, so this is quite an achievement.

As I step into the world of the 'blogging', my hope and desire is that this blog will be a blessing, an encouragement, an inspiration, and one that will turn people to Christ.

Why Selah Moment? I recently came across a book called Selah by Nancie Carmichael. It reminds people to take a moment to stop, think, and step into our future. I'd always seen the word Selah in Italics in my Bible. It was only recently that i realised the significance of it. It was as if, the psalmist had put it there, to indicate a pause. A rest. A short time-out, before continuing his praise and adoration for God.

In the movie Music of the Heart, a 1999 movie based on a true-life story, Meryl Streep starred as a tireless East Harlem violin teacher Roberta Guaspari. In one of the scenes, she was teaching the students the significance of a pause, to have a brief moment of complete and utter silence. During the performance, the sudden silence in the middle of the song took the audience by surprise. They waited full of curiosity, anticipation and suspense. That brief moment of silence, followed by the ending stanza made the rest of the song sound more meaningful, more complete, and richer.

I believe brief moments of 'pauses' in life have a similar effect on us. It gives us time to reflect, to take count of what we have done with who we are, and what we have been given. These 'Selah moments' help us consider the purpose in which God has created us, and His plans for us. As we realise the hand of God upon our lives, we live our lives more purposefully, with a greater sense of calling and gratitude.